Oldest Online and Performance Coaching services in Ireland !

16 Years ago, I came to Ireland to coach full time, living my professional triathlete career behind. I have been running from young age and my dad was a very decent 5 and 10km runner. 

My passion for coaching swimming and been a triathlete brought my expertise to coach International level in 3 different sports.
Next week Barbara Sanchez in Zuric for the European marathon championship, Tom Hogan is coming back from the European Mountain running championship to Niamh Kilgallen at the European Junior swimming Championship and Youth Olympics, Ironman athletes and European Triathlon championship makes me believe I have to do something right somewhere.
Tom Hogan running for Ireland in mountain Marathon championship
I don't coach a lot of athletes, and not just the good ones, but the ones who have a drive to succeed. It happens I refused to train some athletes, too hard on themselves,too negative and not ready to follow a program or take responsibility for their performances.
It's already stressful to be a high achiever and having a positive environement is very important. Coaching will never be a big money earner and volume coaching is not ideal to develop athletes to the best of their abilities.
Portumna Forest Marathon (pictures Dr Iain Shaw)
Automate coaching website (program which generate training plans based on data you submitted), can be great to a certain level of "do it yourself". I even recommend them from time to time. Having someone on your back and reminding you of your responsibilities as an athletes and following a program do make a big difference. Not been alone in that venture to personal best brings a great feeling of been supported and understand in your goals.
 All coaches can't coach every athletes, different methods, way to work, to communicate. It has to click, to fit a puzzle piece, or you will waste your money. The coach need to be passionate, and worry when their athletes race.
 An example from me would be texting my athletes more than usually before the event to make sure they are alright, did their jobs, drink and eat properly and rest. Most of the time the coach do the opposite, while as an athlete you care about yourself, us coaches worry about all our athletes.
 As a coach, did I do the right program ? was I too hard on him / her ? if they are not performing is that my fault ? etc.....
 In reality, it's a partnership, both responsible and accountable, but good communication and feedback will be the key of a great training plan and relationship.
The coach shoudl do the plan around who you are and not about what the coach wants. It's a tough job but well worth it.
Sebastien locteau

Comments

Trending

5km / 10km Training Plan

Self-reflection in self-isolation

2017 coaching results review